Starting the week with a short design project, our group divided into three teams and underwent the design of a secondary school design with a small selection of real world design restrictions. A large room schedule and space requirement sheet for a 900 student school, a regular grid for the structure, 1 or 2 stories only and short time frame to produce a set of concept drawings.
Each team dove into spacial planning and departmentalising the room schedule by subject, and began modelling their schools. Each team had very different design approaches and each produced very different designs. Some hiccups with modelling techniques we addressed along the way, and by Tuesday Lunch, they presented their designs to the other teams. As you can see some very different outcomes but a lot of work achieved from a small team of people in a day and a half.
The City Project
Following our school design presentations, we got started straight into the brief of our main project on the course - Akenside Hill; the city project. A very challenging site with a steep bank and very tall surrounding buildings. See the brief project requirements here. After introducing the team to the project, and going over our 3D CAD and OS map data, we broke out from the training suite and took to the site. Here the teams were introduced to the site and it's difficult terrain, and began sketching out ideas for the buildings and designs they were going to develop over the next 5 weeks.
Wednesday morning. We met Chris Palmer from our course supporters FARO on site to capture as accurately as possible the site in 3D. Chris showed us how easy and quickly it was to start gathering the data we needed on site, and how to set up the equipment. We went through the different quality settings and resolutions available from the scanner and the features available to us and got each of our learners to set the station up as we worked around the site. After an hour or so on site, the heavens started to open (typical) so we made a break for it back to the training suite, and began to register the clouds we already had. Chris showed our learners how laser point clouds have changed the surveying industry in recent years, and showed some of the applications that can be used using the technology. Using FARO Scene, we were able to registers the clouds against one another, obtaining a very accurate result between the clouds before importing these into ReCap and finally into Revit for the set up of our project. Chris showed us a wide range of features as part of PointSense, and I can see how much a time saving this will be for us. I could go on and on about this day, as I learned a lot myself, but please click here for a more in depth article on our day with FARO.
Starting the project with BIM
Now that we had developed a design brief, and had gathered our site data, we were introduced to the processes and workflows of BIM on projects by our very own Olly Thomas of BIM Technologies, another kind sponsor of the BIM Campus course. Olly introduced and explained the set of standards and documents outlined with the UK BIM Level 2 objectives, and helped outline some of the targets and objectives our learners could follow for their own projects. From here, we began developing our own EIR document, identifying the data outcomes that we wanted from our models, our LOD requirements and how we would exchange our information. A short summary, but enough to think about going forward.
From here, we began developing a brief BEP, but we will improve upon this as the course develops, and we introduce our learners to more BIM workflows and processes.
Project Set up
As we closed the week, our teams set up the project coordinates and collated all the site information we had and began our Architectural designs for the project. We will have more information on this next week, as we develop them further, and begin to document the designs and outcomes.