Attended Newcastle Royal Grammar school 2001-2008
GCSEs - 3A*'s (in Art, Maths and Design Technology), 5 A's and 2 B's
A Levels - Art (grade A), Economics (grade B), Maths (grade D)
Completed Part 1 BAhons in Architecture at Northumbria University in 2012 with a second class honors degree
Semi-fluent in Spanish.
Google Sketchup: Advanced
Autodesk 3dsMAX: Beginner
Microsoft Office: Advanced
Received commendation from the AQA exam board for marking 600/600 for Art A Level.
Voluntary Service Placement at Monchester Road Nursery, Wallsend 2006-2008
- Helping at the nursery once a week as part of a school community initiative. Aiding teachers in organising class activities, supervising students and involving them in group play. Cleaning classrooms and cloakrooms after school hours, organising play equipment for the next day.
One Week Placement at Ainsworth Spark Associates, Newcastle, Winter 2008
- Working on a community centre project in Westerhope, Newcastle. Attended two site visits, witnessed client meetings and meetings with
One Week Placement at Redbox Design Group, Summer, 2009
- Working on a commercial project in Benton, Newcastle. Attended two site visits, witnessed meetings with two groups of contractors.
Customer Assistant, Marks and Spencer's Gateshead, 2006-2011
- Worked on a range of different departments; food, retail, hospitality, warehousing, tills. Depended upon to be flexible, to possess a range of skills that were interchangeable across departments. Acting as a senior staff member, passing on experience to newer staff and acting as a section co-ordinator in the event of staff shortage. Received commendations regularly for "outstanding service" and highly regarded by senior staff.
Sales Advisor, John Lewis, Newcastle, Autumn/Winter 2012-2013
- Working on a beauty counter, selling aftershaves, perfume, shavers and other items for a range of big brands. Relied upon to provide detailed product information and help sell items based on consumer preference and also to up-sell complimentary goods.
Barman/Server, Marks and Spencer's Newcastle, Autumn/Winter 2013-2014
- Working on a champagne bar in-store, serving customers and expected to deliver high level service to all visiting customers. Received commendations from store managers for doing so upon recognition of regular written customer compliments.
Part-Time Promotional Work, Independent Market Promotions, 2011-Present
- Contractual work for brand promotions based all over the North East of England. Worked both as promotional staff and as events manager, relied upon to execute client briefs to perfection focusing on all details of campaigns including various food and drink sampling, brand promotion and management of regional "Britain's Got Talent" audition days.
Akenside Hill Restaurant - 5/05/2014
The brief for this BIM campus project required a restaurant to be designed and modelled in Revit, within an accurate site-specific model. The steep slope of the site and the likelihood of debris under its topsoil, following site research, along with the site's central urban location dictates the need for a design that requires minimal site excavation. Henceforth, the building sits upon a series of space-trusses that direct the building load onto a series of pile foundations allowing for minimal site spoil, an increased level of daylight penetration within the proposed scheme and an opportunity to use the existing car park without any alteration. The building's internal space frame wraps around diners, with a glass curtain wall fixed to its outer face which is then partially wrapped with a perforated steel solar-breach cladding supported by structural feet. The external cladding provides a translucent layer which provides the building's staff and customers with privacy from the surrounding buildings as well as an animated flow of fractured shadows that shimmer around the main dining space throughout the day.
Steel Rigg Visitors Centre Revisit - 28/02/2014
Using a previous university project as a template, Ben was asked to remodel it in Revit using previous completed drawings and models. The original scheme was modelled and designed mainly in Google Sketchup with plans and further details completed in AutoCAD, this meant that a comprehensive understanding of Revit's features was required to translate the building model between software. Drawing sheets, external and internal renders were completed in order to show an ability to communicate the design using BIM methods.
The House - 7/2/2014
In this exercise Ben was shown the basic capabilities of Autodesk Revit 2014 including model construction, drawing generation, rendering and creating schedule tables for specific component families.
Steel Rigg Visitors Centre - May 2012, Northumbria University
The Client specified the need for a visitors attraction in Steel Rigg, Northumberland and allowed for further specification of the centre's function to be selected by the designer. A visual arts centre comprising of an exhibition gallery, café, private and group studios was proposed along with an accommodation provision for visiting groups. The building orientates around a view of the expansive "Whin Sill", a dramatic crag face that is hoped to inspire the creativity of the centre's users.
Newcastle upon Tyne Sports Library - December 2011, Northumbria University
This project was based upon the narrative of The Lit and Phil Society building in Newcastle, a historic library in the centre of the city and the type of library was to be decided by the designer. Ben chose to base the literature provision around Sporting history, theory and nostalgia and incorporated video-computing theatre suites as well as a small book library for the public.